ANNOUNCE: 4.00.0a9 released

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 7 14:35:06 IST 2002

At 12:02 07/10/2002, you wrote:
>The first error I noticed was something about missing file perl-TimeDate ?
>Another one I caught in full:
>Missing file
>/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.noarch.rpm.
>Maybe it did not build correctly?

Have you got the errors from above this? I've just tried this on (another)
clean RedHat 8.0 machine and it builds the MIME-tools module okay.
Try doing a
         rpmbuild --rebuild perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.src.rpm
         rpm -Uvh perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.noarch.rpm

and see what output you get from those two.
>Installing perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-1.src.rpm
>Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.45663

That will fail as it needs MIME-tools to be installed before it can build
the rpm.

>Seeing that mailscanner hadn't made it into the results, I ran it myself:
>[root at verbose MailScanner-4.00.0a9-5]# rpm -Uvh mailscanner*rpm
>error: failed dependencies:
>         sendmail is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>         tnef >= 1.1.1 is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>         perl-MIME-tools >= 5.411 is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>         perl-Convert-TNEF is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>
>Of course, the sendmail dependency is just as bogus as ever. Also, my
>earlier comments about the closing commands still stand. I just did
>chkconfig --list and see that MailScanner is only active in the current
>runlevel, 3 in my case. So this command is still needful:
>chkconfig --level 2345 MailScanner on

Done.

>However, I'm really, really happy with the change. The huge (for us)
>mountain of mail in the queues was gone in seconds, and the test messages
>ended up in my mailbox. The two with payloads (I manually attached my
>entire pet virus collection) were stripped of their attachments, and the
>reply was sent:
>This message is simply to warn you that your computer system may have a
>virus present and should be checked.
>
>The virus detector said this about the message:
>Report: joke.exe  Infection: W32/Hybris.worm.B
>Report: Very Funny.vbs  Infection: VBS/LoveLetter.gen
>Visual Basic Scripts are dangerous in email (Very Funny.vbs)
>Report: Pretty Park.exe  Infection: PrettyPark.37376
>"Pretty Park" virus (Pretty Park.exe)
>Report: ALANIS_Screen_Saver.SCR  Infection: W32/MTX.9244.worm.A
>Windows Screensavers are often used to hide viruses (ALANIS_Screen_Saver.SCR)
>
>So, I'm back in business, and Julian is now my hero. Right on! If the mail
>had been held up at the start of business tomorrow there would have been
>hell to pay.

Yay!

Keep an eye on the downloads page for new versions of the RPMs.
Build 6 is current.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ