Stopping MailScanner on a per user basis ...

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 14:47:42 IST 2002

At 01:12 03/10/2002, you wrote:
>Depends on your whole definition of 'organisation', really. As an ISP,
>we have a fair few users, and only extend scanning to some of them -
>it's a feature for them, not our responsibility to keep their systems
>clean

Agreed.

>I do it with external logic - only mail for users that want scanning gets
>sent through the mailscanner (I use sendmail with an external data
>source to look this up). I can't see a problem with us declaring that
>all our users get virus scanning, no option (it'd make our servers much
>happier about losing all the new Bugbear crap), but the spam blocking is
>the sticking part - many users are paranoid about losing any mail at
>all, and I don't think a flat-file spam.actions.conf scales to 50,000+
>mailboxes.

In V4 you could just add the "Spam Score" header, which will contain one
character for every point in the SpamAssassin score. Then your users can
all set their own thesholds by using a filter in their mail client. If you
write down how to set it up for the most common mail clients, they can then
manage themselves.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ