Possible Microsoft security vulnerability attack.

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 14:30:40 IST 2002

What would people like me to do about this?
I really can't see any point have <OBJECT CODEBASE= tags in HTML mail messages.
But the <IFRAME> tags are obviously causing people problems.

I went for the simple solution of not allowing any iframe tags as that
dispenses with the problem completely, and protects against future iframe
exploits. There are quite a few of these already, and I can't see why there
won't be any more.

Parsing out specific attributes from iframe tags is really hard to do in a
robust reliable way, which is also why I didn't bother. I see little point
in having a trap that the bad guys can get round once they have seen the
code. The commercial guys may think they can have security by obscurity,
but I don't.

As it stands at the moment, there is a partial solution in V4, as you can
specify addresses from which you will accept <iframe> tags, and ban them
from everywhere else.

Is that enough, or do I need to be doing something a lot cleverer?

All thoughts and constructive comments appreciated.

Jules.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ