mailertable being ignored - offTopic

James Pifer mailscannerlist at TNJINFL.COM
Fri Nov 29 23:02:46 GMT 2002

Sorry to the list for asking about a definite Sendmail problem, but I've
posted to Redhat's list and no one there was able to help. I
successfully tested our configuration using Redhat 8 in my home
environment, but now I'm having a problem trying to pilot it on a new
server in production. I can't get Sendmail to forward the mail to the
mail server specified in the mailertable.

When a message comes in MailScanner does it's thing, but then Sendmail
sends the message back through the MX record instead of the server I
have specified. (Once this server replaces the one at MX record, I would
then get a mail loop problem: MX record points to itself). Here is what
I have:
Redhat 8, Sendmail(8.12.5-7)

/etc/mail/relay-domains has one line:
mydomain.com

/etc/mail/mailertable has one line:
.mydomain.com esmtp:[192.168.1.5]

/etc/mail/local-host-names has no entries

I ran "make" while in /etc/mail and it returned me to a prompt so I
think it ran ok. I restarted Sendmail. The damn thing is still relaying
the mail to the mail server at the MX record instead of forwarding it
directly to the server specified in the mailertable.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
Thanks,
James