Big problem.. help...

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 11:18:57 GMT 2002

These sorts of strange failures with big queues are often caused by you
running out of filehandles. See what "ulimit -a" says (if "ulimit -a" fails
then try "limit" as it varies between different shells), and try reducing
the maximum size of a batch to 50 or 100 and see if the same problem occurs
then.

At 23:25 26/11/2002, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 17:28, Richard Lynch wrote:
> > I just restarted MailScanner and am getting the following error.
> >

> > > Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
> > > /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Sendmail.pm line 805,
> > > <GEN112> line 15.
> >
> > I was updating to config to change the number of child processes from 5
> > to 10.  I've changed it back to 5 but it still won't startup correctly.
> > I have no idea how to correct this.  I'm getting many of these over and
> > over again.
>
>Follow up...
>
>Whatever is causing this is related to some file in the mqueue.in
>directory.  I renamed that directory and re-created an empty one and
>MailScanner started up fine.  I had noticed that the directory had a
>couple thousand files in it which is what prompted me to up the child
>process count in the first place.  The is a K12 gateway machine and they
>were being flooded with some k12 announcements.  I haven't yet figured
>out which particular file(s) was causing this but at least the crisis is
>over.
>
>It gives one a disconcerting feeling when the gateway mail scanner won't
>start and mail is pouring in.
>

>--
>Richard Lynch <rich at mail.wvnet.edu>

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ