/var/spool/mqueue.in

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 26 10:28:06 GMT 2002

At 09:58 26/11/2002, you wrote:
>I have many e-mail in the /var/spool/mqueue.in directory after we had a
>disk space problemen on one of or servers. When I do the mailq command I
>get a message that there is no mail in the que /var/spool/mqueue

That's because, as you have just said yourself, the "mailq" command looks
at "/var/spool/mqueue" and you have lots of messages in "/var/spool/mqueue.in".

>restarted mailscanner
>loaded sendmail with /usr/sbin/sendmail -q1m and with /usr/sbin/sendmail
>-q1m -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in

Why the "-1m", sounds far too small a time gap to me. But anyway...
You are running both sendmails with "-q1m". The one that has the mqueue.in
mentioned should have "-bd" and not "-q1m".

Are the files in mqueue.in quite old? Do any of them start with capital Q
or capital D? If so, they are just old message fragments left behind when
you kill sendmail.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ