v4: naming Sophos homedir

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 22 18:06:58 GMT 2002

At 17:10 22/11/2002, you wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 04:38:48PM +0000, Julian Field wrote:
> > At 14:41 22/11/2002, you wrote:
> > >Julian,
> > >
> > >   Can the homedir of sophos (and maybe other virus scanners) be
> > >specified in mailscanner.conf, and then have the scripts:
> > >
> > >bin/Sophos.install
> > >lib/sophos-autoupdate
> > >lib/sophos-wrapper
> > >
> > >get the homedir definition from there?  I keep sophos in
> > >/opt/sophos because /usr/local is NFS mounted.
> >
> > All of those scripts now live inside MailScanner's dir structure rather
> > than the virus scanner's dir, so they don't get lost when you upgrade your
> > virus scanner or anything like that.
>
>Julian, I think his concern was more that upgrading mailscanner
>was a pain because all these scripts had to be re-edited to
>change the path to the virus scanners.  He wanted to put the
>path prefixes in the mailscanner config file and make these
>scripts use that prefix so that he only had to worry about bringing
>over the config file with the new mailscanner install.  I have
>the same problem and like his suggestion.

So I could add a parameter to each of the wrapper scripts that is the
directory in which the virus scanner was installed (in
virus.scanners.conf). This is passed to each wrapper script. Should be
pretty easy, except where I don't supply a wrapper script (not all of them
need them). I would need to know exactly what the command should be for
every scanner, which I don't have for all of them.

I need the commands for:

# command   from www.command.co.uk, or
# inoculate from www.cai.com/products/inoculateit.htm, or
# inoculan  from ftp.ca.com/getbbs/linux.eng/inoctar.LINUX.Z, or
# nod32     from www.nod32.com, or
# antivir   from www.antivir.de, or

Once I know the exact commands for all of these, I can add a simple wrapper
script for them which will enable me to do the virus.scanners.conf change
described above. I can't do anything until I have the info for all of these.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ