Port 25 not open

Thu Nov 21 18:14:14 GMT 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 6:06 pm, James Pifer wrote:

> Antony,
>
> ipchains -L shows me that ports 22 and 25 are open. Without giving you
> the exact verbage, let's just say both ports look the same in the output
> and I can connect through SSH. Basically, I'm sure port 25 is open.

Okay.

> Processes running? Is this what you mean?
> 2108 root sendmail: accepting connections
> 2113 root /usr/sbin/sendmail -q5m
> 2122 root /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/sbin/MailScanner
> /etc/Ma
> 2125 root /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/lib/MailScanner/usr/sbin/MailScanner
> /etc/Ma

Yes - the "sendmail: accepting connections" is the one...

> Yes, I can connect to port 25 on the local port.

In that case it's a networking problem.

Since you've verified that ipchains isn't blocking, I wonder whether you're
trying to connect to port 25 from the same machine as you're able to ssh from?

It could be that this machine doesn't know how to route back to the client ?

Antony.

--

Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)