MS4.x config/runtime issues

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Thu Nov 21 16:25:42 GMT 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Julian Field wrote:

> /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner is where you should put the changes. That's
> where RedHat keeps localisations for init.d scripts. It will use values
> defined in there in preference to what is in the init.d script. The
> /etc/sysconfig file will not be over-written by an upgrade if you edit it.
>
> The only things I should have done differently are
> 1) allow the setting of the mqueue.in directory in the /etc/sysconfig file
> as well and
> 2) put the default values outside the "if" statement so it doesn't matter
> if they aren't mentioned in the /etc/sysconfig file.
>
> I have corrected these 2 problems for the next version.

Excellent.  Thanks.  (That's logically identical to my patch, I think.)

> No insult intended, but personally I do not like the idea of keeping other
> MS dirs inside /var/spool/mqueue, as they aren't part of mqueue's logical
> purpose (i.e. a sendmail mail queue and nothing else).

Indeed.  That detail is our choice for our environment at our site.  I,
too, am not entirely comfortable with it!  The patch was simply a clean
way to separate the script (which should be invariant) from the data
(which peculiar sites may wish to set in peculiar ways).

The one major thing in the scheme's favour, for us, was that it maintains
the technical requirement for the directories to be co-resident on the
same partition, with the ability to separate the OS (including everything
else in "/var/spool") from the email "data" in transit.  So if there is a
major system event, the OS can be adjusted or even replaced without
affecting that email data.

(We probably ought to reconsider: e.g. we could make "/var/spool/mqueue"
simply contain each of the 4 MS data directories as a subdirectory.  Then
you and I would both be happy/happier!)

Thanks again.  Best wishes.