Upgrading SpamAssassin (and Perl Modules)

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Nov 20 00:43:05 GMT 2002

I recently did this upgrade myself. It was more-or-less trouble free. I
think I had one extra perl module I needed to add.

One thing to be aware of is that if you've added any subdirectories to
/usr/share/spamassasin  remove them or the install fails. Also be aware
that all of /usr/share/spamassasin/* will be obliterated and the directory
will be rmdir'ed during the upgrade. A new directory with new rules will be
created.

I'm not sure if it uses the same approach to removing the old perl module
files, but it does work if installed over an old version.

You shouldn't need to clean anything out, but be sure to specify the same
PREFIX if you installed it somewhere other than the default.
  (ie: at one point I wound up with two copies on my test box, one in /usr/
and one in /usr/local)