Almost there....

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Nov 15 21:11:51 GMT 2002

Ahh.. you're probably suffering from the AWL.

I'd recommend that you go to your mailscanner.conf and change this line:

SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = yes

SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = no

Basically when you hand-blacklisted hotmail.com, everyone with a hotmail
address that sent you mail during that time got a HUGE penalty score in
their auto-whitelist entry. Now that the manual blacklisting is gone, those
senders still have a past history of high scores.

If you like the AWL feature, you can leave it on, but shut down
MailScanner, delete your auto_whitelist.db (probably
/root/.spamassassin/auto_whitelist.db) and restart it. Personally, I'd
advise against using the AWL when used as a global DB like MailScanner uses
it, but that's really your choice to make.

(note: this problem is not one of the problems of using the AWL with a
global database, that's a separate issue. This is just the nature of the
AWL. It tries to make past spammers pay for their mistakes in future
emails, just as it tries to give credit to past non-spam senders to prevent
their mail from being tagged)