incoming directory

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu Nov 14 18:59:52 GMT 2002

> From: Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
>
> At 22:44 13/11/2002, you wrote:
> >Has anyone explored the bennefits or problems with putting the incoming
> >directory onto a ramdisk?  I know mailscanner preferes to have it on the
> >same partition as the mail queue directories, but I'm wondering if it
> >might be faster (for the scanning part of the process).
>
> If you have got loads of RAM, then it should at least work. Though weigh it
> up against potentially increasing speed by running more child processes
> (which will require more RAM).

Well, the machines in question will shortly have a gig of memory, and I
was
thinking about giving them 200mb of ram disk (they're currently running
on
128mb memory).  The incoming directory never seems to be terribly large.

As for child processes ... I'm still running 3.x.  And, no, upgrading to
4.x isn't something I can do in the near future (production machines;
change = bad ... 4.x is scheduled to be in the machines that will
replace
these, about 2 or so months from now).

John