[Fwd: Rejected posting to MAILSCANNER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK]

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 13 18:55:45 GMT 2002

At 18:49 13/11/2002, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 13 November 2002 12:35 pm, James Pifer wrote:
> > I looked at the FAQ before posting, and didn't find my answer.
> >
> > I've installed Redhat 8 (with Sendmail of course) and then added
> > MailScanner, SpamAssassin, and F-Prot. My mail is being delivered, but I'm
> > not sure that it's going through the spam and virus filters. I received 6
> > spam messages last evening.
> >
>You should go to the web site and look at some info there.
> > -How can I tell if it's working correctly or not?
>ps aux | grep MailScanner, look at the headers...
>
> > -Are there any log files? I checked maillog and it looked like only
> > sendmail activity.
>Did you start it per the instructions?

If you aren't sure, then do this:
         service sendmail stop
         chkconfig sendmail off
         chkconfig MailScanner on
         service MailScanner start
And as Lewis said, look at the mail headers, you should see signs of
MailScanner there.
Note that by default, SpamAssassin is not enabled. If you have installed
it, you need to enable it in MailScanner.conf.

> > -It also looks like Redhat 8 install Procmail by default. Do I need to
> > do anything with this, like shut it off or configure it?
>No, MailScanner has nothing to do with Procmail
>
>--
>Lewis Bergman
>Texas Communications
>4309 Maple St.