F-prot Enterprise

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 17:58:12 GMT 2002

At 17:48 12/11/2002, you wrote:
>Will mailscanner work with the enterprise (daemonized) version of F-prot?
>Is anyone running this with any success?  Thanks.

I wrote some support for the Enterprise (daemon) version. Then I
speed-tested it. Then I removed support again :-)

At low loads it doesn't matter which of the daemon or the command-line
scanner is faster. All that happens is your message batch size is a bit bigger.

At high loads, you have large message batches (up to the maximum configured
in your MailScanner.conf). MailScanner handles large batches more
efficiently than small batches (it only calls the scanner once for each
batch) so its efficiency actually improves as the load gets bigger.

With large message batches, it is faster to call the command-line scanner
than the daemon, as you have to squirt all the file locations into a socket
to talk to the daemon, which is actually quite slow.

So the summary is that I don't support it because you don't want to be
using it. Just buy the Small Business Edition and save your money.

A winner all round, methinks :-)
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ