The Challenge -- The Invoice

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 8 19:57:29 GMT 2002

At 19:50 08/11/2002, you wrote:
>Y'all,
>    I well agree that Julian deserves renumeration for his fine work with
>MailScanner.  Colby College has benefited tremendously from his work.
>The problem in a business bureaucracy is the beancounters.  They want to
>see an invoice for a product/service, a legal description of what they
>are paying for, etc -- ye olde paper trail.  The managers also want
>accountability and budget control.  I can't just get purchasing
>to send somebody a check because I say he's a good guy.
>
>    I have the same headache with other valuable "free but please contribute"
>software like SpamCop.  We use their blocklist; same issue with $$$.
>We do pay for RBL+ ($125/year, I think) because they have a means of
>billing us.  But that means RBL+ suddenly has to have a support staff,
>a billing office, paperwork, file tax forms -- be a business.  Frankly,
>RBL+ isn't a tenth as useful as SpamCop.
>
>    The sad thing here is that while MailScanner is "free", Sophos sweep
>is not.  We pay good money to use sweep within MailScanner on our mail
>server.  We would have paid Sophos even more to use their inferior
>MailMonitor software -- if their sales person hadn't recommended
>MailScanner to me instead.  IMHO, Sophos and the other anti-virus
>vendors should be paying Julian for promoting sales of their products.
>
>    The problem, for me at least, is not the money.  It is the paperwork
>needed to issue the check/cheque.  Maybe Julian needs to start sending
>out bills...

I have a consulting company run by a friend of mine (with all the necessary
"official" paperwork) in the UK. I can always issue invoices through his
company if that helps. That way the taxman gets 50% of it, but it's very
official.

If you would like paper invoices issued by a UK registered company, that's
no problem at all.

And I am already personally registered in the US for tax purposes as well
as in the UK.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ