MS4.x config/runtime issues

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 7 19:04:56 GMT 2002

At 17:18 07/11/2002, you wrote:
>1. bin/MailScanner/Log.pm :  MS gave a message:
>      Your vendor has not defined the Sys::Syslog macro _PATH_LOG at [...]
>    By commenting out the line:
>      eval { Sys::Syslog::setlogsock('unix'); }; # Doesn't need syslogd -r
>    this then worked, apparently with no ill effect.
>    Seems to be  sort of Perl/Solaris interaction (Perl 5.6.0; Solaris 8).
>    Does the MS code need to be more tolerant, and/or autoconf'd?

The failure message doesn't actually cause any harm. Basically it tries to
use a domain socket instead of a UDP socket, so you don't have to open up
your syslogd to accept UDP logging requests from other machines (which
might be used as a DoS attack on your server by forcing gigabytes of syslog
traffic).

Please can you try the attached patch to Log.pm to see if it removes the
error message on your system.

>2. lib/mcafee-wrapper:  has pathname "/usr/local/uvscan/uvscan" hardcoded.
>    At our site the pathname is different.  OK, I can tweak things to make
>    it work.  But in v3 this had been configurable in etc/mailscanner.conf
>    and v4.x seems to have gone backwards: no longer configurable.

You just edit the wrapper. The setting in mailscanner.conf in V3 set the
location of the wrapper, not the location of uvscan itself. So this isn't
actually any different. If you moved uvscan to somewhere else, you would
have edited the wrapper to point to the correct location. In V4 you can
find the wrapper script more easily as they are all in the same place.

>    (Or is it your intention that this should ultimately be a site-driven
>    autoconf thing.  In which case, can I urge you to begin to include the
>    the "configure" and autoconf stuff please!)

All the autoconf stuff is still in development. Sorry I haven't got this
out the door yet.

>3. With v3, I had had the default (and sensible!):
>       Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue
>
>    To ensure co-residency on the same physical partition of the other
>    directories, they had been subdirectories of this:
>       Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue/mq.in
>       Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/mqueue/incoming
>       Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/mqueue/quarantine
>    Solid and safe.

Interesting setup, hadn't occurred to me that people might do that.

>    Further, the standard "/var/spool/mqueue" (i.e. "Outgoing Queue Dir")
>    was also a separate partition for ease of system maintenance (including
>    possible OS replacement).  So it also contained a "lost+found".
>
>    But under v4 this gives errors:
>       Queue directory /var/spool/mqueue cannot contain sub-directories,
>       currently contains dir lost+found at
>       /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner/Sendmail.pm line 839
>
>    (Presumably each of the other directories could also have given an
>    analogous message, had it got that far.)
>
>    Is there any reason why v4.x forbids such subdirectory use?
>    (Note that the apparently simple solution of making the partition
>    "/var/spool" instead of "/var/spool/mqueue" makes OS replacement
>    potentially more tricky, as "/var/spool" contians "system" things other
>    than mqueue.
>
>    Does MailScanner really require this restriction?  Can it be removed?

I thought it was a good idea at the time, but setups such as yours hadn't
occurred to me. On reflection it may be better to remove the check. I will
still look for a q1 or qf directory though, in an attempt to find split
queue directories which sendmail will use if it finds them. So you can get
it going now, the minimal patch to Sendmail.pm is attached to this message.
There is actually just 1 extra line of code.

>By the way, Julian, did you get those autoconf-isms I sent you from the
>MS 4 you had privately sent me a couple of weeks ago?

Yes thanks. Just need to find time to do some more work on autoconf.

>Hope this helps make MS even better!

I hope my responses above answer most of the issues you have raised.
All constructive comments are always appreciated :-)