Relay by other network

fong fong at SHUNKAM.COM
Thu Nov 7 10:03:14 GMT 2002

Thanks Mohan

Since someone told me that if you install both software on same machine, you should change the port of sendmail.

Do I change any configure in sophos's config(mmsmtp.cfg) file?
Should I start the sophos daemon(mmsmtpd) and mailscanner daemon or instead of start mailscanner daemon only?

Fong Cheang
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: S Mohan
  To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
  Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 4:45 PM
  Subject: Re: Relay by other network

  I've used this combination for 1 year now on 4 machines. Why are you changing sendmail port? Mailscanner starts two instances of sendmail - one in queued delivery mode accepting incoming connections and one just flushing out the queue. There is no need to change. If you are attaching port 25 to Sophos, then I guess you are using their mail gateway and not mailscanner. MailScanner user the sweep commandline program and is a replacement for the Sophos Mail Gateway. Relaying in sendmail is controlled thro' /etc/mail/access file which has entries that look like

  IP/domainname/email id  OK/RELAY?REJECT

  e.g.
  192.168.0    RELAY will relay for your local Class C subnet assuming it is 192.168.0 subnet.

  Restart MailScanner after this. sendmail start up converts this file to a access.db file. Also take care that sendmail MTA listen to your actual IP and not 127.0.0.1.

  HTH
  Mohan