spamassassin integration

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Fri May 24 15:32:22 IST 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002 15:08:47 +0100, you wrote:

>>Is this because mailscanner is running as root?  Will I ever get user
>>created pref files?  Should the /etc/mail/spamassissin/user_prefs file be
>>the one I'm primarily concerned with?
>
>MailScanner is run as root, and will always use root's SpamAssassin
>user_prefs file. By the way, it uses the direct Perl API into SpamAssassin,
>so you don't need "spamc" or "spamd" or the "spamassassin" script.

I am running sendmail, mailscanner and spamassassin as user mail to
prevent any problems with (potential vulnerable) software running as
root. And it works as a charm. I have a ~mail/.spamassassin/user_prefs
and keep it empty because I run everything on a (kind of) application
level firewall (no mailboxes on this system). My prefs are configured in
/etc/mail/spamassassin.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,