how to use spamassassin with mailscanner?

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 23 08:33:17 IST 2002

At 21:32 22/05/2002, you wrote:
>    A few words please about how to install and use spamassassin with
>mailscanner, in the HTML install docs?

Sounds like that would be a good idea. I'll try to find time to write some.
On the other hand, does someone else fancy contributing a paragraph or 2 of
instructions, including where to set "ignore_rbl_checks = 1" in the SA user
prefs?

I would be really grateful!

>    I already had mailscanner installed and working, so I decided to roll
>spamassassin into the mix.  Got the tar file, did the install:
>
>tar xzvf Mail-SpamAssassin-2.20.tar.gz
>cd Mail-SpamAssassin-2.20
>perl Makefile.PL
>make
>make install (as root)
>
>Then I went into /opt/mailscanner/etc/mailscanner.conf, turned on:
>
>Use SpamAssassin = yes
>Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
>Accept Spam From = [my IP netblock]
>
>Then I stopped and restarted mailscanner.  Is that it???

Pretty much, yes.

>No other twiddles?

The only thing you might want to do is track down the "ignore_rbl_checks"
option in its preferences file, uncomment it and set it to 1. MailScanner
or SA can do the RBL checks for you, but you don't need both of them doing it.

>When I mail the sample-nonspam.txt and sample-spam.txt files to myself from a
>remote site, it seems to work -- I see the X-MailScanner-SpamCheck stuff
>in the
>headers.
>
>One thing I noticed and don't like is that spamassassin created a
>/.spamassassin directory in root with user_prefs therein.  I don't like
>non-system stuff in the root directory.  How to put it elsewhere, like
>/opt/mailscanner?

That's really an SA problem. It's running as root so SA puts its user_prefs
in ~root.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ