how to use spamassassin with mailscanner?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed May 22 21:32:19 IST 2002

Julian,

   A few words please about how to install and use spamassassin with
mailscanner, in the HTML install docs?

   I already had mailscanner installed and working, so I decided to roll
spamassassin into the mix.  Got the tar file, did the install:

tar xzvf Mail-SpamAssassin-2.20.tar.gz
cd Mail-SpamAssassin-2.20
perl Makefile.PL
make
make install (as root)

Then I went into /opt/mailscanner/etc/mailscanner.conf, turned on:

Use SpamAssassin = yes
Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
Accept Spam From = [my IP netblock]

Then I stopped and restarted mailscanner.  Is that it???  No other twiddles?
When I mail the sample-nonspam.txt and sample-spam.txt files to myself from a
remote site, it seems to work -- I see the X-MailScanner-SpamCheck stuff in the
headers.

One thing I noticed and don't like is that spamassassin created a
/.spamassassin directory in root with user_prefs therein.  I don't like
non-system stuff in the root directory.  How to put it elsewhere, like
/opt/mailscanner?

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: jaearick at colby.edu
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842