Spam not being flagged revisited

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 22 17:07:28 IST 2002

At 16:42 22/05/2002, you wrote:
>I received four more messages, where the Spamscore was greater than the
>threshold but the message was not marked as spam.  I am including one
>header, as the rest are similar  Everthing in spam.whitelist is
>commented out and only my local IP address is specified in
>mailscanner.conf.   I don't see how this is a whitelist problem.  Any
>ideas?

I have just wiped my spam.whitelist.conf and commented out all "Accept Spam
From" lines in mailscanner.conf.
I then set
         Use SpamAssassin = yes
         Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
and restarted MailScanner.

Using the 2 SpamAssassin test messages sample-spam.txt and
sample-nonspam.txt that they supply for the purpose, I get these results:
sample-spam.txt
>FROM_HAS_MIXED_NUMS, INVALID_MSGID, INVALID_DATE, MSGID_HAS_NO_AT,
>SMTPD_IN_RCVD, UNDISC_RECIPS, NO_REAL_NAME, HOME_EMPLOYMENT,
>ONCE_IN_LIFETIME, CALL_FREE, REMOVE_SUBJ, LINES_OF_YELLING,
>LINES_OF_YELLING_2, LINES_OF_YELLING_3, RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM)

sample-nonspam.txt
>GAPPY_TEXT, LINES_OF_YELLING, PGP_SIGNATURE)

I then set
         Use SpamAssassin = yes
         Always Include SpamAssassin Report = no
and restarted MailScanner.

Using the same pair of messages again, I get
sample-spam.txt
>FROM_HAS_MIXED_NUMS, INVALID_MSGID, INVALID_DATE, MSGID_HAS_NO_AT,
>SMTPD_IN_RCVD, UNDISC_RECIPS, NO_REAL_NAME, HOME_EMPLOYMENT,
>ONCE_IN_LIFETIME, CALL_FREE, REMOVE_SUBJ, LINES_OF_YELLING,
>LINES_OF_YELLING_2, LINES_OF_YELLING_3, RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM)

sample-nonspam.txt
>(no SpamCheck header at all)

So either
         a) something weird is happening that is affecting your system and
not mine
or      b) we are running different code.

(b) is the most likely. I've got 1 more little feature to test out (RBL
checks timeout setting), then I'll release the code again. Any of you
having problems can then upgrade to that version and we'll see if your
problems go away.

>To: darian at bepinc.com
>Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 05:11:15 -0500
>From: susanepapelej at jippii.fi