interested in Postfix support?

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Wed May 22 12:39:36 IST 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 12:50:01PM +0200, Fredrik Thulin wrote:

> Since I apparently have made too many changes for Julian to merge my patches
> into MailScanner I am thinking of forking off a "branch" to get more people
> involved in the development until Julian beleives the code is of such quality
> that it can be put into the official MailScanner he maintains and distributes
> (ie. putting up a CVS repository and a mailing list).

I will be going over the patches. Once I understand them a bit better (I'm
not really familiar with postfix), I'll either merge them in or get back to
you asking for more information/help/whatever.

There were a few areas when I first looked that I thought I might need
convincing about (as I said, I'm not familiar with how postfix works, so
there may well be good reasons for some of the bits that look "odd" to me),
but I'll give you a shout when I get to looking at it. Feel free to hassle
me to do so; I've been showered with lots of things to do recently -- most
of which are not terribly important -- so hassling me gently may well move
it up the list ;)

In any case, we'll be hoping to have it all integrated for the next major
release of mailscanner (which will also have autoconf-based configuration
and installation, and hopefully something to make updating config files
easier). Um, what else is on my to-do list?... internal TNEF decoding
based on the CPAN module, better/more portable locking (again probably
trying to use the CPAN lockf module iff it is present), more scanners
supported (and possibly making it easier for third parties to provide
and maintain scanner support)... and one or two other ideas.

I'm not saying I'll get all that done, or all into a state which Julian
will be happy to release ;-)  but that's what I'm aiming at.

Priorities are autoconf (nearly done), postfix (depending on complexity),
and locking at the moment.

Several extra scanners are done (contributed code is merged) but I may need
to get some more information from the contributors and then get some testers.

Better get to work I guess...

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com