Need help badly...

Christopher Hicks chicks at CHICKS.NET
Tue May 21 16:56:36 IST 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Julian Field wrote:

> I can't remember whether Linux ext2 implements
> directories as lists (bad) or trees (good).

This:
        http://web.mit.edu/tytso/www/linux/ext2intro.html
seems to indicate that it's a list.

> Irix dynamically changes between lists and 2 different types of tree
> depending on the number of files in a directory, and it flies as a
> result.

You can also run xfs (Irix's filesystem) on Linux if it has performance
characteristics that would be valuable.

--
</chris>

There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way
is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
                                                        - - C.A.R. Hoare