mailscanner 3.15-3 proc dies without error/warning - tied to mailman?

Ryan Dlugosz ryan at DLUGOSZ.NET
Tue May 21 13:16:25 IST 2002

Hello,

I'm new to mailscanner, but an experienced linux admin - I put in a good 6
hours with mailscanner yesterday, but couldn't solve my problem even after
searching the list archives pretty extensively.  Here's the situation:
I'm running RedHat 7.2 with all updates + most recent RPM of mailscanner
(3.15-3) on sendmail (8.11.6-3) with the latest Sophos (3.57).  I also use
the GNU MailMan listserv software to support a handfull of low-volume
lists.  The box doesn't receive too much email - just the personal mail of
a few users & the lists.
After installing MailScanner (and Sophos using the MS install script), I
fired it up & verified that I now had two independant sendmail procs going
- one listening & the other -q15m.  I began tailing the maillog and
started firing test emails.
It worked great for a little while & then suddenly email stopped moving!
The mail was just building up in the mqueue.in folder & was no longer
being scanned or moved.   This all seems to happen when a message is
received for the Mailman email list program & it attempts to send out the
messages.  I strongly believe that something is going on with the mailman
- mailscanner interaction that is causing the Perl script to die without
warning.
I've posted an annotated log snippet on the web.  Please take a minute to
look it over and let me know if you have any thoughts regarding my
problem.
http://dlugosz.net/~ryan/mailscanner_probs.html

Thanks!
-Ryan