Klez-E

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed May 15 21:46:34 IST 2002

Hi,
I would study the full mail headers of the email (turn this on in
mailscanner if you don't have them), or search your syslogs for message
id g4FEfKR17219 and see what IP number the message originated from.
Then go looking to see who might own the machine attached to that
IP number.  At my site, I search the syslogs to see who has been
making POP connections from that IP number.  If there are any POP
connections associated with the machine, then I know who the owner
is.  Once I know that then I drag out the boiling oil and thumbscrews.
The user's account gets locked out, their machine blacklisted in my
sendmail settings -- they are dead until the machine is cleaned up.

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: jaearick at colby.edu
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842