Where do you RBL

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat May 11 09:31:31 IST 2002

At 22:24 10/05/2002, you wrote:
>- MTA (Feature(dnsbl...) in Sendmail
>- Mailscanner
>- SpamAssassin
>
>Where do you check an RBL from? And why?

I do it in MailScanner. Mail servers at some other academic institutions
around the world aren't always very well configured, so blocking all mail
from RBL'd servers in sendmail isn't practical as we would be blocking a
few institutions who we do research with.

But other than that I regard anything coming from an RBL'd server to be
spam, so I don't bother with the SpamAssassin score but just tag it as spam
anyway.

But choosing between MailScanner and SpamAssassin is a fairly fine choice.
There isn't hoestly much difference.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ