{SPAM?} Why are all messages tagged SPAM?

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 6 10:28:24 IST 2002

At 11:00 02/05/2002, you wrote:
>I installed Mailscanner some two months ago in combination with sophos and
>it works fine. Thanks for the good work.
>
>Now I want to use it in combination with spamassassin as well.
>
>Here is my spam.whitelist.conf
> > This is a list of email addresses (with an @ sign in them) or entire email
> > domains (without an @ sign in them) from which you will accept mail without
> > ever marking it as spam.
>
> >*parinux.org
> >*earth.li
> >*kuiters.org

The examples in the docs explicitly say "*.parinux.org" and not
"*parinux.org", so you may be better trying that. Not sure if it will make
a difference but I would definitely fix it anyway.

>I now get all my incoming mail, including mail coming from the domains
>listed above, with the {SPAM?} tag on the subject line. I can, of course
>de-activate the tagging in the mailscanner.conf file but the question
>remains why Mailscanner seems to suspect all my mail to be spam.
>
>The headers of my mail also display the line:

>twice. Is this normal?

SpamAssassin repoting 255 hits is definitely wrong, it should be a small
number. I suggest you properly test your SpamAssassin installation using
their tests and scripts, to prove it is working properly. I haven't seen
this behaviour before.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ