Any explanations gratefully recieved.

David Sullivan David.Sullivan at BARNET.AC.UK
Wed Mar 20 10:13:52 GMT 2002

On 20 Mar 2002 at 11:00, Shane Kelly wrote:

> I got a call from a user who reported a virus in an email - this is such an
> unusual occurrence these days that I went personally to get the details.
>
> The following are the headers from the email, and the log entry pertaining to
> it. Any thoughts ?

> SUBJECT: #_èr ,
> ]m04UoY2©ð7<«C¯9O©zMbY6k

> mailscanner is a mail gateway with mailscanner/sophos installation, the virus
> reported was magistra.

See a previous thread on this:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A1=ind0203&L=mailscanner#24

The headers of your message show that exactly the same virus and reasons that
it was missed are involved.

Regards

--
David Sullivan        IT Services, Barnet College, London
                            David.Sullivan at barnet.ac.uk
                            020 8275 5036

This communication may contain privileged or confidential information which
is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that you may not distribute or use this
communication or the information it contains.  If this e-mail has reached you
in error, please delete it and any attachment.

Internet communications are not secure and Barnet College does not accept
legal responsibility for the content of this message.  Any views or opinions
expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Barnet College.

Please note that Barnet College reserves the right to monitor the
source/destinations of all incoming or outgoing e-mail communications.