autoupdate erases my uvscan directory

Thomas Zajic thomas.zajic at NEO.AT
Thu Mar 7 16:31:29 GMT 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:17:54AM -0600, Alfredo Cole wrote:

> After installing McAfee antivirus for Linux, I noticed that signature
> files are located in the /usr/local/uvscan directory, and that the
> installation does not create a separate /dat subdirectory. So I
> modified autoupdate script and made datdir point to that directory.
> But when it executes, it deletes the entire uvscan directory. Is
> there a fix for this? [...]

Modify your /usr/local/uvscan directory structure as follows:

1. Create a directory in YYYYMMDD format, using yesterday's (or
   an earlier) date.

   # cd /usr/local/uvscan
   # mkdir 20020101

2. Move all your *.dat files _except_ license.dat and messages.dat
   (these two aren't contained in the .dat update tarballs) into
   the newly created directory.

   # mv clean.dat internet.dat names.dat scan.dat 20020101

   Alternatively, simply untar the .dat update tarball in the
   newly created directory.

   # cd 20020101
   # tar xf /path/to/dat-4188.tar

3. Create a symlink called 'dat' pointing to the newly created
   directory.

   # ln -sf 20020101 dat

4. Optional: create symlinks to the moved *.dat files pointing to
   their original location. This step isn't necessary, but it is
   convenient in case some scripts rely on the *.dat files to be
   in their original location.

   # ln -sf dat/*.dat .

5. Your /usr/local/uvscan directory structure should now look similar
   to this (depending on which options you chose in step 2. & 4.).

   [root at gateway2]:~# ls -lR /usr/local/uvscan/
   /usr/local/uvscan/:
   total 4772
   drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 20020101
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root clean.dat -> dat/clean.dat
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root dat -> /usr/local/uvscan/20020101
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root internet.dat -> dat/internet.dat
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root liblnxfv.so -> liblnxfv.so.4
   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root liblnxfv.so.4
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root license.dat
   -r--r--r-- 1 root root license.txt
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root messages.dat
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root names.dat -> dat/names.dat
   -r--r--r-- 1 root root readme.txt
   -r--r--r-- 1 root root reseller.txt
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root scan.dat -> dat/scan.dat
   -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root uninstall-uvscan
   -r--r--r-- 1 root root unxadmin.pdf
   -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root uvscan
   -r--r--r-- 1 root root uvscan.1

   /usr/local/uvscan/20020101:
   total 4592
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root clean.dat
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root dat-4188.tar
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root file_id.diz
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root internet.dat
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root mcscript.ini
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root names.dat
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root packing.lst
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root pkgdesc.ini
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root readme.txt
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root reseller.txt
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root scan.dat
   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root validate.exe

6. Now run 'autoupdate'. Should work fine, and leave you with a new
   directory with today's date, containing a freshly unpacked .dat
   update tarball, and a symlink called 'dat' pointing to it. The
   old '20020101' directory should have been removed.

HTH,
Thomas
--
Thomas Zajic