Microsloth security update worm not being caught!

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Thu Mar 7 09:52:15 GMT 2002

David Fry wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed an issue with the W32.Gibe at mm worm NOT being caught
> by Sophos and Mailscanner??
>
> I just saw it pass through my mail gateway twice in the last few minutes
> with nary an alert.  My sophos ide's were updated as soon as the W32.Gibe
> definitions came out & yet it got through the scanner.  I am rather shocked
> this happened.  The Sophos/Mailscanner combo has been superb up to this
> point ... we are in an evaluation process & I am looking for an explanation
> as to why it got through.

A colleague forwarded a copy of Gibe to me and it was intercepted by
MailScanner/Sophos. I don't have any information on an original copy of
Gibe though.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed                           To have no errors
Information Services                    Would be life without meaning