Setting up a Gateway

InvictaNet Support support at INVICTANET.CO.UK
Fri Jun 28 10:13:38 IST 2002

My method (so far) is to do this:

Both mailservers have live ip addresses as well as internal addresses.
The external ip address on the scanner/gateway server is in dns as the MX 10
for each domain to be scanned.
The internal ip address on the internal server is in dns as the MX 5 for
each domain to be scanned.
sendmail.cf on the internal server routes all outgoing email to the external
ip address on the gateway server.

What happens is:
mail arriving goes first to MX 10 on the external address as it can't go
direct to MX 5 on the internal address
mail gets scanned or ignored per mailscanner rules
scanned mail can now be relayed from MX 10 to MX 5 as both servers are on
internal addresses
scanned mail arrives at MX 5 and is dumped in mailboxes
outgoing mail will always leave via the gateway server because of the
sendmail.cf rule

This all seems to work ok with one major exception.
On the (original) internal server, I queue mail for several dialup customers
who collect by smtp/ETRN. (at present these are not being scanned).
The sendmail rule that I have used as above sends their mail back to the
gateway server, which then loops it back to the internal, which then
loops.......
These messages never get queued and never get collected.

I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve this...

Martyn Routley
InvictaNet - The Internet in Plain English, Guaranteed
http://www.invictanet.co.uk
info at invictanet.co.uk
phone: 08707 440180
fax: 08707 440181

Please Note:
All services are provided on the basis that they are
business to business and that the
Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000
do not apply.