Proper way to handle misidentifiedspamsite-wide?

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 27 10:01:57 IST 2002

At 23:29 26/06/2002, you wrote:
>Ok -- I thought I was all set until I actually switched from "deliver" to
>"store".  I expected it to log full, near-original spam messages in the
>quarantine -- for me to easily go through to check for misidentified spam.  I
>don't seem to be getting that behavior.  I appear to be getting mqueue-like
>partial files -- i.e. no headers or anything -- certainly not the original
>messages that I had hoped for.

You get the qf and df "mqueue" files so you can drop them straight back
into the queue if you actually want them to be delivered. Turning them into
"mbox" format messages involves throwing away all the envelope information,
so if you attempted to redeliver a message you would have ended up editing
it. Under European law you ain't supposed to be manually editing other
people's mail, its an infringement of the Data Protection Act.

>Basically, I just want all of the system-wide messages detected as spam to be
>dumped somewhere where I can manually go through them to quickly check for
>misidentified non-spam (preferably in standard mbox format, I guess, so that I
>can use whatever reader/client I'd like).  Can this be done easily?

You can find most non-spam by just reading the subject lines, which are
contained in the qf files. Again however, this is almost certainly a breach
of the DPA.

Writing code in the full knowledge that it would break laws if used is
rather shaky ground, and I don't really want to go there if I can avoid it.
I appreciate that many/most of you live outside the scope of these laws,
but I don't and I'm the one producing the "package".
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ