/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner: kill: (25184) - No such pid upon restarting mailscanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 25 20:57:48 IST 2002

I have just changed the init.d script to not print those error messages.

They are caused (I believe) by sendmail's child processes, which it finds
when working out the pids but which have finished by the time it comes to
try to kill them. On a heavily-loaded server this delay could be a couple
of seconds, which is quite long enough for some of the children to complete.

As per your suggestion, I have added a short "sleep" in the restart code.

Thanks for the ideas!

At 20:07 25/06/2002, you wrote:
>  What file should I look at to see if the path to the pid file is
> incorrect? the mailscanner script or config?
>Has anyone had this problem after installing the rpm for RH7.2??
>BTW... ,This mailscanner script is the new one Julian posted 4 or five
>days ago for replacement of the one that came with 3.20.6.
>
>  [root at datawatch root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner restart
>Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
>               MailScanner:                                 [  OK  ]
>               incoming sendmail:                           [  OK  ]
>               outgoing sendmail: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner: kill:
> (10575) - No such pid
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner: kill: (25184) - No such pid
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>Starting MailScanner daemons:
>          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>          MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>[root at datawatch root]#
>P.S. would it be a good idea to add a "sleep 3" in the script before
>starting the daemon just after it was stopped?

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ