Mailscanner and SA performance

David Lancaster dml at UNB.CA
Mon Jun 24 16:05:39 IST 2002

Hi all,

Someone recently suggested to me that the spam-checking performance of
Mailscanner and SpamAssassin could be increased by only checking a limited
portion of each email. The idea being that most spam would be evident
within a smaller number of lines, requiring less CPU time.

While this may be true for some spam, I wonder if there would be any
actual speed increase? Is there a sufficient bottleneck in SA, which could
be assisted by limiting the length of each message that is checked, to
make this worthwhile.

Technically this is more of a SA question, but I was wondering if anybody
on this list could see any issues with this suggestion.

Cheers,
David