Suggestion for Sophos updates

Willem Kuiters wkuiters at FREE.FR
Wed Jun 19 20:10:18 IST 2002

Salut MailScanner!

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:38:08AM -0400, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> care to share this with the rest of us?

> > >       There is a notification via e-mail for Sophos alerts - whenever I receive
> > > one (and it can be busy) I initiate an update then (as well as using the
> > > nightly cron job)
> >
> > I use a procmail recipe that launches the update script upon a message from
> > sophos. Works great and you are sure always to have the latest IDE files.

Sure. It is good to know when reading the following that I run a Debian
Woody with the debian Mailscanner package:

> :0:
> *^From.*Sophos Alert.*notification-return
> {
>     :0 c
>     |/home/virus/bin/sophosupdate
>
>     :0:
>     IN.viruswarning
> }

Where /home/virus/bin/sophosupdate =

> #!/bin/sh
>
> sudo /usr/local/bin/sophos
>
> exit 0

/etc/sudoers contains the entries:

> Cmnd_Alias SOPHOS=/usr/local/bin/sophos (Julian's update script)

> virus ALL=NOPASSWD:SOPHOS

In fact the user "virus" only receives the Sophos notification mail.

The only changes I finally made to Julian's update script are:

> $SophosRoot = "/usr/local/";
> $IDELink    = "/usr/local/ide";
> $VDLDir     = "../sav";

and I put it in /usr/local/bin.

I use the install.sh script that comes with the Sophos package with its
defaults.

This is perhaps not the most elegant solution but it works and
automatically updates the IDE files when a new one is put online by
Sophos.

Willem
--
€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø
         **  "It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm   **

                            ** htag 0.0.19 **