Permanent white listing

Georges A. Tomazi gt at DIAPASON.COM
Mon Jun 17 13:27:27 IST 2002

Hi,

I just installed on a Solaris 8 / SPARC box MailScanner-3.20-3 (upgraded
this morning to 3.20-4) with Sophos + Mail-SpamAssassin-2.30 (including
razor-agents-2.07 and dcc-dccproc-1.1.2).

I had no problems at all for installing / configuring the whole stuff, mail
processing throught MailScanner and Sophos is just fine (is there any way
to test its efficiency with a file including a test virus signature ?).

However, spam filtering doesn't work as expected. No matter the contents of
a message, it gets always marked as "whitelisted" - and I'm not using any
white listing. For example, these are the headers with a test spam sent
from some external account :

[...]

required 5, PLING, DOUBLE_CAPSWORD, ONCE_IN_LIFETIME, CALL_FREE,
REMOVE_SUBJ, LINES_OF_YELLING, FREQ_SPAM_PHRASE, DCC_CHECK,
X_RCVD_IN_UNCONFIRMED_DSBL)

[...]

The spam section of my mailscanner.conf file is pretty straighforward :

[...]

Spam Checks = yes
Spam Header = X-MailScanner-SpamCheck:
Spam Modify Subject = yes
Spam Subject Text = {SPAM?}
Spam Action = deliver
Log Spam = yes
Use SpamAssassin = yes
Max SpamAssassin Size = 100000
SpamAssassin Timeout = 30
SpamAssassin Prefs File = /opt/mailscanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = no
Compile SpamAssassin Once = yes
Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
Spam List Timeout = 15
Accept Spam From =

[...]

The "Spam White List" parameter is no defined here, but I tried also to
define it as "/opt/mailscanner/etc/spam.whitelist.conf" and that file was
just empty (or with all lines commented out). It doesn't change anything...

Is there something I'm missing ?

Thanks for your help,

Georges

Georges A. Tomazi - gt at diapason.com