ANNOUNCE: Version 3.20-1 released

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 14 15:23:54 IST 2002

At 14:58 14/06/2002, you wrote:
> > -- Added configuration option to list viruses that should be quietly
> > deleted without informing the sender or recipient. A good example is
> > the "Klez" worm
>
>Why would I want to do this???  Whey wouldn't I want to tell the
>sender/recipient that their mail had a virus??

The Klez worm is just about the first virus to create useless messages with
fake From: and To: addresses. The net result is that there is no point in
telling either the sender (as they almost certainly didn't send it) or the
recipient (who never wanted the virus anyway). So you might as well just
ditch it.

> > -- Added optional internal TNEF expansion using CPAN Perl Convert::TNEF
> > module
>
>I know nothing about TNEF expansion.  Which to you recommend...the old
>external one or the CPAN one?

Personally I'm sticking with the old one, as it seems to work okay.
However, if you have a lot of Outlook users whose winmail.dat attachments
(Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format attachments) can't be expanded/decoded
and scanned, then you *may* find the internal Perl module manages to decode
more of them.

So stick as you are unless you have a good reason to change.

> > -- Won't call SpamAssassin on every message when it doesn't need to

Not sure I can remember the finer points of that one any more, it was a few
weeks ago...

>This is excellent.  It's the reason I've been running spamassassin via
>procmail instead of mailscanner since most of my messages come in via mail
>lists and don't need to be spam scanned.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ