sendmail debian

Kurt Yoder kylist at SHCORP.COM
Tue Jun 11 14:37:56 IST 2002

Arthur Groen said:
> He.. there are more woody users with mailscanner!!.
>
>> OK, I'll think about it. There's something about having a "clean"
>> system though. (Especially with "apt").
>
> In the installation notes on Mailscanner there is a line telling me to
> start the two sendmail's in the /etc/init.d/sendmail script.
>
> But Debian/Woody is using help some "helper" files in:
> datadir="/usr/share";
> . ${datadir}/sendmail/sm_helper.sh;
>
> I have send a mail to Richard Nelson, the writer of the sendmail script
> with no results.
>
> How did you insert the start of the two sendmails
> without breaking the other functionalitie of the sendmail scripts..
>
> (I have send a mail to Richard Nelson, the writer of the sendmail
> script
>  with no results.)
>

> rgds
> /Arthur
> ICQ    155318156
> MSN  arthur at hiljo.nl
> TEL    0297-355776

I was *not* able to get the mailscanner setup to work using
/etc/mail/sendmail.conf settings. I made some changes to this file and ran
"sendmailconfig". I saw the two daemon processes running as expected: one to
deliver to the mqueue.in folder, one to send outgoing messages. Messages
were delivered as desired to /var/spool/mqueue.in. However, I left them
there without mailscanner running to see if they'd stay there. They did
*not* stay there; after about 10 minutes, something picked them up and
delivered them out of *mqueue.in*. I don't understand how that could have
happened.

Anyway, I ended up using my own init script that manually starts the
daemons, and so far this seems to have worked. Too bad, since now I can't
upgrade this package with apt or I will break my setup.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator