Kaspersky 4.0.1.0 & MailScanner 3.22-10 ?

Rob Lundberg rob at CSCONSULTANTS.NET
Wed Jul 31 16:26:30 IST 2002

I read a few threads in the list archive regarding Kaspersky but none seemed
to resolve my problem.

First of all I have to say that MailScanner is wonderful.  I have been using
it for about a month now with a 30 day demo of Sophos.  That of course was
easy to setup and ran flawlessley since it is the default.  My organization
already uses Kaspersky on the desktops and file servers so we need to go
with Kaspersky on the mail server based on our discount with our reseller.

Today I decided to switch the AV scanner to Kaspersky, when I changed the
.conf to reflect Kaspersky instead of Sophos, the virus scanner effectively
died.  I tested using an Eicar test file, and had the following message in
my maillog

Jul 30 17:34:39 bushwood mailscanner[14674]: Commercial scanner kaspersky
timed out!

Switched back to Sophos and sent the Eicar test file again everything works
fine.

Back and forth a few times double checking...

In my mailscanner.conf

Virus Scanner = kaspersky
Sweep = /usr/local/kaspersky/kasperskywrapper
Minimum Code Status = alpha

Everything else in the mailscanner.conf is stock from the install defaults.
Am I missing something here, aside from the fact that it is still alpha?

Anyone else have success or failure with Kaspersky and MailScanner care to
spike my learning curve?