SpamAssassin default rules

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 30 19:27:40 IST 2002

At 18:00 30/07/2002, you wrote:
>This might seem a dumb question, but I suspect most new MailScanner users
>ponders it:
>
>Mailscanner's default install assumes the presence of SpamAssassin

No it doesn't. The default value is
Use SpamAssassin = no

>, and
>SpamAssassins default install comes with a set of filtering rules.  Although
>you can (and should) become an expert at adjusting the rules to your needs,
>is the default set of rules "good enough" for the first few months of
>MailScanner use?  Or should the rules be modified immediately?

I wouldn't dream of touching them personally, the SA development guys put a
lot of work into getting the scores right. The only thing I would do is
increase the "required_hits" value to 9 instead of 5. That produces pretty
much 0 false positives.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ