ANNOUNCE: Version 3.22-9

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jul 29 16:50:31 IST 2002

I have had a couple of instability problems reported to me, involving the
new forking code I released in 3.22-8. It works fine on most systems, but
can cause MailScanner to silently die on a few systems, notably some
Solaris versions.

I have therefore backed out the new forking code, hence the release of 3.22-9.

If you don't want to upgrade but are happy applying simple patches, then
edit /usr/local/MailScanner/bin/mailscanner or
/opt/mailscanner/bin/mailscanner (depending on where you have it installed)
and apply this:

106,119c106,119
<   #fork && exit;
<   #setsid();
<   $SIG{CHLD} = \&REAPER;
<   if (fork) {
<           wait; # Ensure child has exited
<           exit 0;
<   }
<   # This new child's parent is perl
<   # Close output streams to break connection to handin server
<   close(STDIN);
<   close(STDOUT);
<   close(STDERR);
<   fork && exit 0;
<   # This new grand-child's parent is init
---
 >   fork && exit;
 >   setsid();
 >   #$SIG{CHLD} = \&REAPER;
 >   #if (fork) {
 >   #        wait; # Ensure child has exited
 >   #        exit 0;
 >   #}
 >   ## This new child's parent is perl
 >   ## Close output streams to break connection to handin server
 >   #close(STDIN);
 >   #close(STDOUT);
 >   #close(STDERR);
 >   #fork && exit 0;
 >   ## This new grand-child's parent is init

i.e. un-comment the first 2 lines and comment out the others.

I'm really sorry about this folks :-(

Isn't it a good thing most people are on holiday...

You can of course download 3.22-9 from the usual location:
         www.mailscanner.info
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ