Removing only Windows executables

Stephane Lentz Stephane.Lentz at ANSF.ALCATEL.FR
Sat Jul 27 09:15:12 IST 2002

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 11:47:30PM +0100, Rob Moore wrote:
> >> The only anti-virus software I've ever seen that blocks executables not
> >> based on file extension is Antigen from Sybari, but that's for Exchange.
>
> There is another commercial product (Win32 only) called MAILsweeper that
> will do the same thing as well. I understand it inspects the headers of each
> file to determine the filetype and whether or not to block it based upon
> the policies you set.
>
> The drawbacks are a) its commercial (thanks Julian for your excellent
> product)
> b) its a Win32 platform only c) it can be quite expensive as the license is
> based upon users protected.

There is a perl module called File::MMagic that makes it possible to
guess a file type :

http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=File-MMagic
http://search.cpan.org/doc/KNOK/File-MMagic-1.15/MMagic.pm

It should be able to find .exe which are renamed.

regards,

SL/
--
---
Stephane Lentz / Alcanet International - Internet Services