Removing only Windows executables

Steve Evans sevans at FOUNDATION.SDSU.EDU
Fri Jul 26 22:02:16 IST 2002

If someone changes the extension it won't block it even if it is an
executable.  This works pretty well though because there's not to many
viruses that were written which hope that the user will change the
extension and then execute it.  The only anti-virus software I've ever
seen that blocks executables not based on file extension is Antigen from
Sybari, but that's for Exchange.

Steve Evans
Computing Services
(619) 594-0653

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy
[mailto:miguelk at KONSULTEX.COM.BR]
        Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 1:58 PM
        To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
        Subject: Re: Removing only Windows executables

        Thanks for the idea. After reviewing this file I see that I
would remove EXE and COM by these lines:

        deny    \.exe$
        deny    \.com$

        Is this true?

        But I don't really understand how I would detect the EXE if the
sender renames it to say 'ccx' for example. Or am I missing something? I
would like to know if it's an executable by the information in the
attachment itself (even if zipped).

        Miguel

        Matt Doherty wrote:

                hint: filename.rules.conf

                Matt Doherty
                IT Dept
                Datawatch Corp

                >>In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows
and Gates?<<