Two Questions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 25 20:02:32 IST 2002

At 19:28 25/07/2002, you wrote:
>2. mailscanner always appears as a zombie process when I do a ps aux.
>I've tried booting the server without mailscanner enabled and then
>manually starting it.  As soon as I start mailscanner I have it listed as
>a zombie.  Restarting mailscanner only changes the pid...I still end up
>with a zombie.
>
>Inspite of this mailscanner seems to be working perfectly.  However, I
>have no idea where/how to fix this???  I'm not even sure it's worth the
>effort of trying to fix it???

The only thing I can think of is that the daemonising code isn't working
100% correctly on your system. The zombie is almost certainly the process
started by the shell.

If you kill mailscanner and restart it using
./mailscanner /opt/mailscanner/etc/mailscanner.conf
(put the relevant path to mailscanner.conf in there, obviously)
do you still get the zombie. And if you do, what is the zombie's parent's
pid? I would guess it will be the shell you ran it from. I haven't heard
any reports of the daemonising code failing on anyone else's system :-(
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ