Improving speed in picking up messages from incoming queue

Thierry Carrez tcarrez at SCORT.COM
Thu Jul 25 13:05:14 IST 2002

Julian Field wrote:

> MailScanner checks the incoming mail spool for any new messages, and goes
> away and processes them. However, if there were no new messages when it
> checked, it sleeps for 30 seconds and then tries again. So if you have a
> very low traffic server it is possible you are seeing the 30 second delay.
> Once your server is busy enough that there are always new messages coming
> in while the previous ones are being processed, the delay will never happen
> and your message latency will drop to a second or two.

I don't have many users, but they were used to get messages emailed to
themselves almost immediately...

On a small-workload setup (around 1 message every 40 seconds), is there
a danger to reduce the 30-second delay to, say, a 10-second delay ?
I don't have enough messages (about 50 users) to benefit from the
high-load = no-latency effect...

If I understand your code correctly, I would have to change the line :

   # Wait and go round again if nothing to scan
   sleep(30), next unless @MessagesIn;

Any do's and don't before I crash my production server ?
Thanks in advance

--
Thierry Carrez