Improving speed in picking up messages from incoming queue

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 25 09:04:07 IST 2002

Are you running this on a test server to try it out, or on a busy
production server?

If on a test server, then what you are seeing is this:

MailScanner checks the incoming mail spool for any new messages, and goes
away and processes them. However, if there were no new messages when it
checked, it sleeps for 30 seconds and then tries again. So if you have a
very low traffic server it is possible you are seeing the 30 second delay.
Once your server is busy enough that there are always new messages coming
in while the previous ones are being processed, the delay will never happen
and your message latency will drop to a second or two.

At 08:44 25/07/2002, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I would like to know if there is a way to improve the speed of the "pick
>up messages from incoming queue" phase of the mailscanner process.
>
>Timings for example :
>09:31:58 Message received by SMTP and written to incoming queue
>09:32:07 Mailscanner scanning starts
>09:32:08 Mailscanner scanning ends
>09:32:08 Message is in outgoing queue et processed
>
>I observe timings like 5-12 seconds for the "pickup" phase. Is this
>normal ? Is there a setting I can tweak ?
>
>My setup : exim/incoming + mailscanner3.21 + mcafee + SA + exim/outgoing
>My machine : RH Linux 7.3 on a 1GHz PIII with 512MB RAM
>
>--
>Thierry Carrez

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ