help diagnose a mis-tagged email (not spam, tagged as spam)

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Jul 24 22:27:15 IST 2002

I'm not positive, but from a glance it looks like it got bumped up by the
auto-whitelist feature of SpamAssassin, which despite its name, acts more
commonly as an auto-black/greylist.

What the AWL really does is try to push the score of an email towards the
historical average for that user. If that user sent some email that got
tagged for legit reasons, they probably have a high average and thus get
their score bumped up.

Recommendations to get around this:

1) don't use the AWL, or reduce the AWL factor.
2) don't SA scan emails that were actually delivered from IPs in your local
domain. (use MailScanner's "accept spam from" to prevent local users mail
from being scanned.)
3) delete that user's AWL entry using spamassassin -R and hope they don't
send more spam-like mail.