Mailscanner statistics

Michael Janssen Janssen at RZ.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Thu Jul 18 14:27:13 IST 2002

Dear list,

I've found that it isn't enough just to count the numbers from the "found
XX viruses"-lines , because these line frequently (not always)  occours
twice (at least on our system):

Scanning 1 messages, 135716 bytes
>>> Virus 'W32/Klez-H' found in file ./17FkWw-0004hX-00/class.bat
Found 1 viruses in messages 17FkWw-0004hX-00
Scanned 1 messages, 135716 bytes in 1 seconds
Notified senders about 1 infections
Notified exim-scanl at rz.uni-frankfurt.de about 1 infections
Commercial disinfector sophos returned 768
>>> Virus 'W32/Klez-H' found in file ./17FkWw-0004hX-00/class.bat
Found 1 viruses in messages 17FkWw-0004hX-00
Scanning 2 messages, 7233 bytes

instead of:
    $TotalViruses += $1 if /found (\d+) viruses in/i;

you need to remember the mail-id plus filename and ignore the next
occourence of it (this might give you slightly less numbers, when your MTA
often produces the same ids).

you might compare it to my script:
http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~mjanssen/logstats/logstats.py  (15kb)

(written in python, therefor usage is: "python logstats.py
<MailScanner-log> [-help]". A bit tricky, cause it does some more jobs
than just counting. No spamdetection yet)

cheers
Michael
University of Frankfurt