sendmail 8.12 and mailscanner

S Mohan smohan at VSNL.COM
Thu Jul 18 07:02:25 IST 2002

Mailscanner configures sendmail in queued mode to store incoming mails
in /var/mail/mqueue.in. This instance listens to port 25. Mailscanner
then examines these files and moves them to /var/spool/mqueue so that
the second instance of sendmail doing the dequeuing to deliver mail.

Clientmqueue in new to me now. What do you mean by upgrading client
systems to 8.12.5? I guess they are departmental servers. If so, would
not the same as above hold good? If mail comes to mqueue.in, then from
there goes to mqueue and is then delivered to clientqueue by some other
program, why bother? Can you clarify what your setup actually is?

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Jeff A. Earickson
Sent: 18 July, 2002 12:36 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: sendmail 8.12 and mailscanner

Gang,

   I need to ask some dumb questions here...  I run sendmail 8.11.6 on
my mail server (Solaris 8), where mailscanner lives.  Before
mailscanner, I just had one queue to worry about, /var/spool/mqueue.
After mailscanner, two queues (/var/spool/mqueue.in and
/var/spool/mqueue).  Simple.

   I have been upgrading my client systems to 8.12.5, and dealing with
the MSP complications there (submit.cf and /var/spool/clientmqueue).  So
if I upgrade my mail server to 8.12.5, I will now have three queues.
Mailscanner only seems to watch /var/spool/mqueue and not clientmqueue.
I haven't figured out which queue (mqueue or clientmqueue) sendmail uses
for what mail, or why.  The only thing I found was "The .cf file is
based on the operation mode.  For -bm (default), -bs, and -t it is
submit.cf (if it exists), for all others it is sendmail.cf."  Hunh???
Can anbody explain the flow of email thru these two queues?

   With 8.12.5, will I have inbound email (via ports 25 or 587) landing
in clientmqueue instead of mqueue, and thus escaping the clutches of
mailscanner?  How about for outbound email?  Why doesn't mailscanner
look at /var/spool/clientmqueue (or does it need to)?  What is going on
here?

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL:
jaearick at colby.edu
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842