sendmail 8.12 and mailscanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 21:40:50 IST 2002

At 20:05 17/07/2002, you wrote:
>    I have been upgrading my client systems to 8.12.5, and dealing with the
>MSP complications there (submit.cf and /var/spool/clientmqueue).  So if
>I upgrade my mail server to 8.12.5, I will now have three queues.
>Mailscanner only seems to watch /var/spool/mqueue and not clientmqueue.
>I haven't figured out which queue (mqueue or clientmqueue) sendmail uses
>for what mail, or why.  The only thing I found was "The .cf file is based
>on the operation mode.  For -bm (default), -bs, and -t it is submit.cf
>(if it exists), for all others it is sendmail.cf."  Hunh???  Can anbody
>explain the flow of email thru these two queues?
>
>    With 8.12.5, will I have inbound email (via ports 25 or 587) landing
>in clientmqueue instead of mqueue, and thus escaping the clutches of
>mailscanner?  How about for outbound email?  Why doesn't mailscanner look at
>/var/spool/clientmqueue (or does it need to)?  What is going on here?

I am using my init.d script that briefly does
         sendmail -bd + options to set queue directory to /var/spool/mqueue.in
         sendmail -q15m
         check_mailscanner
with the usual queue directory settings in mailscanner.conf (mqueue and
mqueue.in)...

It all appears to work fine for me.

telnet localhost 25 puts the mail into /var/spool/mqueue.in just as the
sendmail -bd command line said it should. MailScanner then picks it up,
processes it and puts it into /var/spool/mqueue. In batch mode the sendmail
-qI commands then trigger delivery from /var/spool/mqueue just as it should
do. In queue mode the sendmail -q15m process (started by the init.d script)
picks up the mail and delivers it.

So it doesn't use the clientmqueue directory at all. As far as I can see
the clientmqueue directory is only used for messages submitted by invoking
the sendmail binary directly. MailScanner has *never* supported the
sendmail binary being invoked directly, and probably never will.

As far as I can see everything should work just as it did before. If you
have upgraded and things have broken, then I suggest you do this to turn
off your new sendmail init.d script and restart MailScanner:

         /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop
         chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail off
         /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner restart

Fortunately my current init.d script happily works with the new version of
sendmail.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ